Skip to main content

Frequently asked questions

Frequent Questions about the undergraduate program

Can I take alternative courses to those required as detailed in the recommended curriculum?

Any deviation from the recommended program should be coordinated with the teaching coordinator.

Can I take a course at a different point in time rather than as set in the recommended schedule?

Any deviation from the recommended program should be coordinated with the teaching coordinator.

The curriculum changed during my studies; which program am I required to follow?

You can take courses according to either of the programs published during your studies.

Can I retake a course to improve the final grade before graduation and until when may I do so?

Improving a course grade is possible during the two semesters following the period you first took the course.

Will registering for a course for a second time, and not meeting it’s requirements, affect my final grade from the first time?

Second registration to the same course without meeting it’s requirements, will not affect the original final grade

When am I eligible for a special exam?

Eligibility for special exam or for alternative evaluation is only permitted for students who had army reserve duty during or just before the scheduled exam.

Does failure in a course, which is a prerequisite for another course mean that I can’t register for the second course?

Technically, you can register for the course but studying and getting a grade for it requires the authorization of the course lecture.

When can I take a departmental elective course? When can I take electives from other departments?

You can take any elective courses after completing the required prerequisites, starting from your first semester at Technion.  In any event, we suggest that you integrate the courses into your recommended class schedule in the available slots.
What is the difference between a prerequisite course and an adjacent course?

An adjacent course must be taken in parallel to the course under discussion, whereas you must complete the prerequisite course prior to taking the course.

How can I transfer from chemical engineering to biochemical engineering or vice versa? 

You can transfer between the two tracks starting from the end of your first year, depending on your academic record.  When relevant please consult Coordinator of Instruction

What is a “not in good standing” academic status and what are its implications?

As a rule, a “not in good standing” academic status is a situation in which the student’s performance falls short of the academic requirements as defined in the   Technion’s Undergraduate Studies regulations. In such cases, the students will be invaded to attend a meeting at the department, in which his/her academic standing will be discussed.

Is it possible for undergraduate students to be hired as research assistants in the department?

Yes. It is common for faculty members to offer junior research positions to undergraduate students.

Are there departmental prizes for outstanding students and/or for other reasons (socioeconomic)?

Yes. The departmental prize committee convenes once a year to award prizes based on academic excellence as other relevant reasons as well.